There are a lot of reasons why so many people are choosing to resolve matters arising on separation outside of the court system.
Some of the big ones include:
1. Confidentiality. Many personal and financial details can otherwise become part of the filed documents.
2. Creativity. Working together offers many more options regarding how to calculate and when to review support arrangements.
3. Flexibility. People may share or transfer assets how and when they choose, including maintaining joint ownership for a time to maximize value.
4. Mechanisms to deal with future changes or disagreements.
5. Resources. Parents can choose to work with a child specialist or with a financial professional to learn how to best use and protect their assets and income.
6. Expert advice. Differences in professional opinion can be explored cooperatively and often at lower cost than formal assessments.
Take the time to explore your options and choose the best process for your family.