There are no restrictions on moving to another province. However, if you have not finalized matters and if you expect that you will need to resolve matters in court rather than through negotiation, you need to consider the residency requirements in the Divorce Act. To start a divorce action, you or your ex-spouse need to have lived in the province for a year before starting the divorce. For example, if you both live here now and you plan to move to Ontario after separation, you will not be able to commence a divorce in Ontario until you’ve lived there a year. However, if your ex-spouse is still living in Alberta, you may commence your divorce in Alberta even once you move to Ontario.