Matrimonial Property Act

I am about to move in with someone and we want to enter into a Cohabitation Agreement in case things don’t work out. Can we do that before we move in together?

The answer is“yes”, as long as you do it before December 31,2019. Under new legislation, the Family Property Act which takes effect January 1, 2020, you will have to be married to each other or partners as defined under the Adult Interdependent Relationships Act. Under that Act, you either have to have lived with the […]


Ask an Expert: I am separating from my common-law spouse after living together for 10 years. Do I get half of the house that we bought in his name?

In Alberta, the Matrimonial Property Act applies only to married people. There is a presumption of an equal division of all property acquired during the marriage (with certain exemptions). Some provinces and territories have legislation that governs unmarried people who live together in a conjugal relationship. Alberta has chosen against that so far. There is […]