Court Orders or Divorce Judgments that deal with support payments must include a MEP clause; the Court will not grant your divorce without the MEP clause. Just because there is a MEP clause in the Divorce Judgment, it does not mean you are required to register with MEP. The payee or payor has the option to register
the Divorce Judgment now or at a later date, if they wish. If support is being
paid per the Divorce Judgment, the parties may decide to hold off on registering
with MEP. If there are ever issues with missed or late support payments from
the payor, then registering with MEP may be useful. If you decide to register
with MEP, a file is created and payments made or outstanding are recorded.
This can be useful for both the payor and the payee. For more information, click here or consult a family lawyer.