The answer may well be why not? However, if you have young children, do not have clear or consistent annual incomes, need assistance to determine spousal support, or were married outside of Canada, consider consulting with a lawyer before beginning the process to find out the best way to proceed. If there is a chance that your former spouse may not agree to what you propose, then consider working with them in a private, non-adversarial, facilitated process like the Collaborative Process to ensure that you are on the same page when it comes time to formalize your divorce.